Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Silly-Maker

Asher, the self-proclaimed silly-maker (you know, because he loves to be silly), turned five this last week.  When I asked him what he wanted for breakfast on his birthday, he said, "cupcakes."  I almost told him that cupcakes were not acceptable breakfast fare, but then I decided that cupcakes for breakfast once a year probably wouldn't kill anybody.  (Don't worry.  I made them healthy-ish and served them with fresh berries.)  It was probably good that I let Asher have his way with breakfast because not much else ended up going as planned.  After we had eaten and the presents had been opened, Asher declared that he was itchy and took off his pajamas to reveal a full-body rash.  Since he had been complaining off-and-on for the last couple of days that his throat hurt, the rash meant a trip to urgent care and a strep test, which was positive.  He was pretty chipper about the whole experience, however, and cheerfully told the nurse, the doctor, and the pharmacist, "Today is my birthday!  But I didn't invite any friends because I'm sick." 

I had just been wondering if this was the year that I should amp up the birthday hoopla, but apparently it wasn't.  Despite the day being pretty low-key and disrupted by an unexpected trip to the doctor, Asher seemed to think it was the cat's pajamas since it included breakfast cupcakes, a stuffed Chewbacca ("just like I always wanted!!"), spaghetti and meatballs, and a promise of carrot cupcakes at the park as soon as he was no longer contagious.  I guess you just have to know which things really count.


(Chewbacca pattern here: http://www.drawpilgrim.com/2011/10/star-wars-softie-pattern-cuddly-chewbacca/)


And here's the new five-year-old singing a song he learned at preschool so you can hear how he sounds with his front teeth missing:

4 comments:

Erin said...

He is a great silly-maker! I love low key birthdays, especially when the birthday celebrant doesn't feel like it's low key.

Becca said...

He is such a beautiful child.

Bethany said...

Poor thing! Hope it clears up quickly. I cannot believe how adorable that Chewbacca looks--I never wanted to snuggle with a wookie before ;)

Ben said...

Charming!