Friday, March 8, 2013

President of the Entropy Club

If my children are having a contest to see who can be the most destructive, Simon is winning.  This week he has, among other things, squeezed a whole tube of toothpaste out onto the bathroom floor, cut up a sewing project I was working on with kids' safety scissors, colored all over his bedroom walls with a pencil, "washed" a new roll of toilet paper in the sink and thrown another one into the toilet bowl, climbed up onto the kitchen counter to take one bite out of each of the scones that I baked for a sick friend, emptied out his closet several times, and given my iPod a bath.

And yet, he does it all with a face just brimming with sweet innocence.  And I think there's a possibility that he really thinks that what he is doing is harmless, if not helpful.  (Like yesterday, when he took all of the dirty cutlery out of the dishwasher and put it back in the drawer.) And I just can't help liking him anyway.


2 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like a special time in his life. It's good that you still like him. I have reflected that sometimes it is the sweetness of my (sleeping) children or their resemblance to my siblings that has helped me keep my cool (sort of) in moments such as these.

Ben said...

What talent!