Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Friends

I have this great friend.  Er...more of an acquaintance, actually.  So, really, she doesn't know I exist.  But I consider her a friend because she has truly blessed my life.  Her name is Deb and she is the author of the Smitten Kitchen.  But when Hugh and I talk about her, we just call her Deb.  Because that-girl-who-writes-the-food-blog-that-I-really-love is too long to say as often as we talk about her.  Because we talk about her a lot.  Any time we want to make something that we haven't made before, or we're searching for a better recipe for something, or we want to find something great to make for something or other, I just tell Hugh that I'll check with Deb.  Because chances are she's got the perfect recipe for whatever it is.  Like scones, or lentils, or cookies, or chickpeas, or brownies.

This afternoon, I was pondering the eternal mystery of what to make for dinner.  (Have I mentioned that I'm not a fan of making dinner?)  It needed to be simple because although Ivy is definitely my easiest baby so far, she's not that easy.  It needed to be something the kids would love because Hugh would still be at work, and by golly somebody had better like it.  And it would preferably have a high vegetable content since that's the food group we struggle with most around here.   I opened my google reader and there it was:  dinner à la Deb.

Her recipe for the day was broccoli parmesan fritters.  They were easy.  The boys loved them.  (Asher ate three, and did I mention that he has never willingly swallowed a bite of broccoli in his life?  Chewed, yes.  Swallowed, no.)  And they primarily consist of--that's right-- broccoli.  It was a good thing that Hugh wasn't here for dinner because there wouldn't have been enough for him.  I did save him one for when he gets home.  The smallest one.  It was a sacrifice.

Deb once again brought peace and harmony to our table.

Because that's what friends are for.

Deb has recently finished writing a cookbook.  You can pre-order it here.  

4 comments:

Aunt Been said...

I must have said recipe and maybe an Ivy. I miss you guys!

Erin said...

I have a website like that, too. It's Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I will check out the Smitten Kitchen - those broccoli parmesan fritters sound like a winner for our house.

Hannah said...

Thank you for introducing me to smitten Kitchen!! I can't wait to try some of those recipes!!!

Becca said...

Deb is our friend around here too. We're making those oatmeal white chocolate cookies this afternoon, and I have had her no-knead bread rising for 24 hours. Love her.