Friday, April 20, 2012

Expectations

With childbirth, as with many things in life, our expectations shape the way that we perceive reality.  For example, if you expect a twelve-hour labor on or shortly after your due date, then a three-hour labor a few days before your due date will seem like a walk in the park.  If, however, you are expecting a three-hour labor shortly before your due date, but end up with a twelve-hour labor eight days after your due date, you might find yourself grumbling by hour nine.  Or at least I did.

The upside is that I was blessed with a whole hospital-full of extremely kind and accommodating doctors and nurses.  Plus, I had plenty of time to dream about all of the things that I would eat as soon as it was all over.

Also, I would just like to say that continuous fetal monitoring (for bundles of joy arriving more than a week late) is yucky, but that hot water is just about the best thing in the universe.  Right after healthy, happy babies.
Ivy Elizabeth
7lbs. 2 oz., 18 inches

11 comments:

Bethany said...

She is lovely! I love the name and I think you made a perfect choice despite all your name anxiety. Sorry you had the late and long labor this time around--seems so backwards! Girls like to do it their own way, I guess.

Aunt Carina said...

By far, the cutest niece on the planet! Hooray for Ivy Elizabeth!

Ben said...

Lovely! Congrats! And enjoy the post-baby buffet :)

Hannah said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so glad that she is finally here! She is beautiful and I love the name. Congrats again!!

Tanya S. said...

She's adorable! Happiest congratulations!

t.t.turner said...

She is absolutely beautiful. You guys have a real knack for coming up with great names for your kids. Seriously, I want to steal them all. :)

Erin said...

Can't wait to meet Ivy! She's teeny! (although I'm sure it didn't feel that way during delivery) Congratulations!

Wendy said...

She is beautiful! Congrats! I love the name.

Becca said...

She is beautiful!! I LOVE her name. I'm crazy about it. Well done. I hope you're resting! :)

Mrs. Vanna Z said...

Way to go Mama!! I couldn't stop thinking about you and this baby girl...wondering when she'd make her debut! I look forward to hearing more details about your labor!

Was Ivy born on the 19th?

I'd love to bring you a meal, so let me know when an appropriate time would be!

Much love,

V

Jen said...

She is stunning! :)