Friday, November 13, 2015

First Words

This week, Asher's teacher sent home a paper asking parents to send in a baby picture of their child along with the child's first word.  This seemed like a cute idea.  The only problem was that I didn't actually know what Asher's first word was.  But that was fine because when Asher was a baby I was actually pretty good about filling out the baby book and that would certainly be one of the things recorded there.  Except it wasn't.  In fact I don't seem to have recorded that suddenly vital piece of information anywhere.  What was I thinking?!?  Didn't I know how important it would be six years later?!?  After looking through old blog posts from around the time Asher started talking (because I was also a much more faithful blogger when Asher was a baby), I have decided that my best guess is "bye-bye," and that's what I'm writing on the official first-word form.  If I get audited, I will deny ever having had doubts and you will be charged with denying reading this admission.  Got it?

While we're here, I would like to state, for the record, that Jonah's first word was, "uh-oh," and that he finds this exclamation to be appropriate both to declare that he has accidentally dropped something, and to draw attention to his having intentionally thrown something to the floor.  I plan to need this information approximately six years from now.